Monday, September 27, 2010

Back to Reality

I think we have finally finished celebrating our 10-year anniversary. The party with our friends, the dinner at Sequoia, four days in Tahoe and even the final day just relaxing at home before heading back to reality was all so wonderful.

We stayed at the Montbleu in South Lake Tahoe and Hubby felt like even the booking was a nice present to him, with the Lagoon-style pool including a waterfall and spa that fit about 40! (We didn't miss a day there.) Our room even had a jacuzzi next to the bed, where I basted for an hour one night, just watching TV (it's a rarity for me since we postpone our satellite for six months every year - to save money and because we honestly don't watch that much in the summer anyway).

Most of our vacation funds went to eating and shopping - only missed one of the six thrift stores we found (yes, that's the kind of shopping we like to do - time consuming, but cheap). We did try to find a wedding ring for Hubby at a pawn shop, but he picked out a chainsaw instead - lol. The eating (more like feasting) was awesome. When the power went out at Ross and they made everyone leave, we headed across the parking lot to the Cork & More to grab some snacks. I'd say we bought out the place since it took the guy so long to ring us up (not his fault though, yes, their power was out too, so he had to do it all by hand), and by the final receipt I'd say we did, but actually they have plenty to go around: cheeses, wines, specialty beers, coffees, teas, olives, a thousand and one pastas, sauces and spices, lots of hand-made stuff like gourmet salads and sandwiches - even a cookbook I'll check out later on Amazon - Cooking with Pumpkins and Squash (read most of it while we were being rung up!)

We did do one hike down to Vikingsholm Castle in Emerald Bay. Unfortunately it was closed for renovation, but the picnic with the goodies was delicious.

I stopped by the Wool Tree (the LYS) and found that they sell my favorite knitting magazine - Verena Knitting. Yippee. I resisted buying any yarn - although hubby was in such a generous mood that I nearly did - wow was he the noble-looking one to the gals in the shop as he kept urging me to buy something. If I ever get my yarn stash organized enough for a photo, you'll see why I must resist!

Needless-to-say not much knitting or cooking going on while on vacation, but plenty of time for it now that it's back to real life.

1 comment: