Sunday, October 17, 2010

The cake part 1


Almost a year ago when my niece asked me to make her wedding cake I think I had forgotten the work I put in two years before when I did a wedding cake for some friends.  That was my first cake and this would now be my second. Naturally, I said, “I’d love to!” As the months went by, she picked out a design and we sampled a few recipes and we did a tasting. All seemed to be going the same as before. I even felt so organized when about a month ago, I set up my schedule for the week when the cake was to be done—moved my ministry, bought the ingredients and started practicing making what I’d hoped would be the flowers for the cake (more on that later).

A three-tiered cake was requested but after consulting a few experts (my aunt being one, whose done cakes for about 30 years), we decided I’d need to add another half-sheet to feed the 215 guests. No problem.

I used the 1-2-3-4 Yellow cake recipe from Joy of Cooking. It’s a butter cake where lots of creaming of the butter and sugar is done then flour, milk, flour, milk, flour is mixed in then finally whipped eggs are folded in. (I absolutely love that because of all the butter in the batter, it bakes a perfectly flat cake round – almost no dome to have to slice off.)


I was going to use the Cake Bible recipe for yellow cake, but when we sampled the cakes side by side, even I was surprised at how much more delicious the Joy of Cooking cake was. With the advice of those “experts” I know, I started baking the cakes 11 days before wedding and put them in my freezer in the garage and had them all complete by 5 days before. It was certainly more relaxing than making them all the day before wedding like I’d originally wanted.


Next a filling of pastry cream (from Baking with Julia) made with egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch and then gently warmed with boiled milk then all heated together until super thick with a splash of vanilla at the end. Chill completely (although quite tasty warm too). Unfortunately when I mixed it up for filling the cake (recipe sextupled), I forgot how many cups are in a gallon and basically made a vat of crème anglaise instead –oops (I still might make it into some vanilla ice cream tomorrow, basically the same recipe). Fortunately that mistake came two days before the cake was due so I hopped in the car at 8:30 PM for some extra ingredients.

We all agreed at the tasting that we love the look of fondant but hate the taste. So, frosting was what I would make, instead. I did remind them that since I wasn’t a professional, the cake would not have that “perfectly smooth” look, but they certainly didn’t mind. And I knew I had the perfect one. I used it for the last wedding cake I made and oh, is it the best - taste, texture, spreadability, pipeability - everything!! It’s the Buttercream 2 from Dessert Circus by Jacque Torres (see recipe below). The day before the wedding, I literally “whipped up” three batches of buttercream, set my alarm for 5:30 AM and turned in early.

To be continued...

Basic Buttercream 2 (Dessert Circus by Jacque Torres)
Makes 6 cups (enough to fill and frost two eight inch rounds)

Scant 1/2 cup water
2 1/4 cups plus 3 Tbs Sugar (17 oz)
5 Large Egg Whites
2 1/4 cups plus 1 Tbs Cold Unsalted Butter, Cubed (18.5 oz)

The first step is to start cooking the sugar. Put the water and sugar into a 1-quart heavy-bottomed saucepan and place over medium-high heat. When bubbles start to form around the edge of pan, insert a candy thermometer in the mixture (careful not to touch bottom of pan). When sugar reaches 245 degrees F, begin to whip egg whites.

Place the egg whites in a large mixing bowl and whip with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until foamy and slightly soft.

The sugar is ready when it reaches 250 degrees F, what is know as the soft ball stage. Make an Italian meringue by pouring the cooked sugar down the side of the bowl while you continue to whip the egg whites (this will kill any bacteria). Do not pour the hot sugar onto the beaters, or it will splatter. Continue whipping the meringue on medium-high speed until the outside of the bowl is warm but not hot, about 5-7 minutes. Add the butter all at once and beat on medium speed until incorporated. Increase the mixer speed to medium-high and whip until the buttecream is thick, smooth, and shiny, about 10 minutes. At this stage, you can add flavoring, if desired. If you are not going to use all the buttercream for your recipe, flavor only the amount you will use.

The butter cream can be used immediately or can be stored in the refrigerator for three to four days or in the freezer for several weeks if held in an airtight container. If it has been chilled or frozen, allow the buttercream to come to room temperature before using, then whip it with an electric mixer on medium speed until it returns to its initial volume and is once again thick, smooth and shiny. [Let June Bug lick the whisk]

2 comments:

  1. wow so much work!!! looks great so far. PART 2 plesae

    ReplyDelete
  2. we should all go in together and start a cake bakery... then after years of hard work sell out to the food network. good idea huh?

    ReplyDelete